Re: [RFC] Cleaning up the pass manager

On 15 June 2010 04:03, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
> I have been thinking about doing some cleanups to the pass manager.
> The goal would be to have the pass manager be the central driver of
> every action done by the compiler. ?In particular, the front ends
> should make use of it and the callgraph manager, instead of the
> twisted interactions we have now.
>
> Additionally, I would like to (at some point) incorporate some/most of
> the functionality provided by ICI
> (http://ctuning.org/wiki/index.php/CTools:ICI). ?I'm not advocating
> for integrating all of ICI, but leave enough hooks so such
> experimentations are easier to do.

I don't think the ICI people follow this list. Perhaps you should contact them.

I would think that instead of hooks, a program should be able to call
pass_manager functions to query/add/remove/reorder passes within a
running program. That is, make the pass_manager a library that works
on passes. GCC would just call that library to implement its
particular pipeline.

But I understand that this is not low-hanging fruit.

Cheers,

Manuel.