Re: Patch pinging

On 7 June 2010 23:23, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Paolo Carlini <paolo.carlini@oracle.com> writes:
>
>> This makes sense. Thinking out loud myself, even for irregular
>> contributors, the idea of a ping-man doesn't really sound right, it's a
>> boring and error-prone task. Can anybody think of a way to automate the
>> job? For patches corresponding to Bugzilla entries we already have, more
>> or less, a complete procedure in place, I wonder if we could do
>> something for the other contributions...
>
> I am 100% in favor of automating the job, but there is little point in
> discussing how we can automate the job unless somebody is prepared to
> volunteer to actually do the work. ?We do have a volunteer willing to
> be a ping-man.

Perhaps NightStrike can fine-tune his approach. For example, only ping
on behalf of people that are not regular GCC developers (I think it is
pretty obvious after a while who those are).

Still, a patch tracker that:

* Allowed to submit patches via web and checked them for basic stuff
(changelog, formatting, perhaps even building and testing) and
automatically send them to gcc-patches for review with an appropriate
subject line.

* Tracked reviews in gcc-patches and updated the status in the tracker.

* Tracked commits and updated the status accordingly.

would be a superb contribution!

Patchwork is the closest I have found: http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/patchwork/
but it lacks categories/components. Others listed in
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCC_Patch_Tracking are either too complex or
too simple.

Cheers,

Manuel.