Re: GFDL/GPL Issue

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> For API documentation, or, in general, for new manuals, I have no
> opinion.  My guess, though, is that the FSF would want the same
> invariant sections and such as are on the existing manuals.

The standard rules for Cover Texts and inclusion of Invariant Sections (at
least as regards inclusion of the GPL in manuals) are
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices-for-Documentation.html>.
There are various ways in which the GCC manuals do not follow this (e.g.
having Cover Texts on manuals the FSF does not print that are only meant
to be on printed manuals, or including the GPL in manuals under 400
pages).  But getting approval to fix those issues might also require
adding the "Free Software and Free Manuals" invariant section (see
comments in PR 13573), which in general those who don't like invariant
sections aren't going to like.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com