Re: [RFC] Switching implementation language to C++

Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> writes:
> 4- Should we make the switch during the 4.6 stage 1?

My suggestion: put something in one common file that requires C++, just
to force the use of C++ compilers, but with a comment that says "If you
can't build this file, comment out the following and file a bug report
with the GCC developers."

We need to make sure we can build what we have *now* with C++ before we
start adding more C++-isms, and we need to make sure our user base can
build too.

Maybe have an #ifdef that lets you take it out, so we can periodically
check for "builds with C" much like we're currently checking for "builds
with C++".  4.6 should be "defaults to C++ compiler", and let 4.7 be the
first "must use C++ compiler".

I don't think we should go from "defaults to C compiler" to "requires
C++ compiler" in one release.