[RFC] Switching implementation language to C++

Now that the SC and the FSF have agreed to this, we should decide whether we switch and how. So, I would like comments on the following questions:

1- Should we switch to C++?
2- What is the cost in terms of build time?
3- What coding guidelines should we use?
4- Should we make the switch during the 4.6 stage 1?

Questions 2-4 are predicated on the outcome of #1.

We need volunteers to work on #3. Personally, I would just use some other existing coding guideline that we find reasonable. I do not volunteer to do this. My knowledge of C++ is sufficiently limited that I don't trust myself to work on this.

Diego.