Re: stack slot reuse

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Richard Guenther
> <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is there something that prevents store sinking (or similar passes)
>>> from moving this 'var = {undefined};' statement outside the scope? Or
>>> should store sinking be taught to treat this as a barrier?
>>
>> Not at the moment (if indeed that assignment looks as a regular one).
>> Passes should be taught that it's not worthwhile to sink a
>> no-op. ?IIRC no pass currently would sink aggregate copies anyway.
>
> Other issues to consider: 1) how does it affect SRA decisions? 2)
> inline summary also needs to be taught to not include size of those
> fake instructions; 3) why only aggregates? For scalars that live in
> stack, they also need barriers if slot sharing pick them as
> candidates, etc.

>>> To elaborate further, we use the current stack-slot sharing heuristics
>>> in cfgexpand.c to decide what variables can share stack slots,
>>> synthesize union variables with those variables as fields and replace
>>> references to those variables with field references. We have an
>>> initial implementation and are evaluating the performance impact of
>>> making the sharing decisions early.
>>
>> Note that using union variables will pessimize alias analysis
>> as we allow type-punning with unions. ?How do you address
>> the issue of debug information?
>>

> Debug information is handled. Easwaran can fill in the details.

We retain the original VAR_DECL even after synthesizing the union
variables and keep a map between the synthesized union variable to the
set of original variables corresponding to the synthesized union. In
cfgexpand.c, when RTL is generated for the synthesized variable, we
set the RTL to all of the original variables using SET_DECL_RTL
instead of setting the RTL to the synthesized union variable.

thanks,
Easwaran