Re: powerpc-eabi-gcc no implicit FPU usage

On 05/20/2010 11:21 AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
Robert Grimm wrote:

Actually, I saw some old posts that talked about a -fno-implicit-fp option
[I know this is a very old post, but I noticed it in old email and felt
it might still be useful to reply.]

CodeSourcery has a -fno-implicit-fp option that does exactly what you
have requested in some of our compilers.  We use this particularly in
the context of VxWorks; on VxWorks, the kernel will only save/restore
floating-point registers across task switches for tasks that are
designated as floating-point tasks.  Therefore, using an FPR in a
non-floating-point task is a bug.

Because there is so much VxWorks code out there that does not use
-msoft-float, it's not practical to require that programmers use
-msoft-float for all files, and then explicitly turn on hard-float for
floating-point tasks.  We offered to contribute this code, but the FSF
GCC maintainers decided not to accept it.

I know RTEMS users have asked about this option before. We have the same problem since we also support floating point as an optional task attribute. On some tasks we implicitly make the port force all tasks to have FP contexts.

Why was this rejected and not merged?

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985