Re: where are caller-save addresses legitimized?

On 05/05/10 20:21, Jeff Law wrote:
On 05/05/10 17:45, Greg McGary wrote:
reload()> setup_save_areas()> assign_stack_local_1() creates a mem
address whose offset too large to fit into the machine insn's offset
operand. Later, reload()> save_call_clobbered_regs()> insert_save()
adjust_address_1()> change_address_1() asserts because the address
is not legitimate.

My port defines all the address legitimizing target hooks, but none
are called with the address in question. Where/how is the address
supposed to be fixed-up in this case? Or, where/how does gcc avoid
producing an illegitimate address in the first place?
I'm not sure they are ever legitimized -- IIRC caller-save tries to only
generate addressing modes which are safe for precisely this reason.

Apparently not so: caller save is quite capable of producing invalid offsets.
Perhaps my port needs some hook to help GCC produce good addresses?
I've been looking, but haven't found it yet...