-pthread

I recently ended up in a discussion about the -pthread flag at work and
when looking at the documentation I noticed that it is defined onlt for
SPARC and RS/6000/PowerPC.

Additionally -fopenmp and -ftree-parallelize-loops say they are only
supported on targets where -pthread are available.

Now, on x86-linux it seems as if -pthread does something but there is no
documentation of it so I'd like to know

      * What does -pthread do on x86?
      * If I am to compile a threaded program am I then requiered to use
        -pthread?

/MF