Re: GCC-4.5.0 comparison with previous releases and LLVM-2.7 on SPEC2000 for x86/x86_64

Vladimir Makarov wrote:
Jan Hubicka wrote:

Seems like something sensitive for setup. In our daily benchmarking LTO
fatster on wupwise (2116 compared to 1600), and facerec is 2003 compared to
2041 (so about the same).

http://gcc.opensuse.org/SPEC/CFP/sb-frescobaldi.suse.de-ai-64/list.html
http://gcc.opensuse.org/SPEC/CFP/sb-frescobaldi.suse.de-ipa-64/list.html

Did you test with -fwhole-program?
Yes, I used -flto -fwhole-program. All this info is on the page. The test machine are also not experimental ones (the both are Dell machines).

I used the released sources may be a reason for the difference is in different sources. In any case, I'll check the current trunk on these machines.

The following I got on the today trunk for x86_64 (2.93 GHz Core i7):

wupwise
-O3 2670 -O3 -flto -fwhole-program 2211
-O3 -ffast-math 2753
-O3 -flto -fwhole-program -ffast-math 4325

So nothing is wrong with my test machine. We simply measure different things. You use -ffast-math, I don't use it.

For the comparison I used simple combination of options for GCC and LLVM. For me it is obvious that GCC results can be improved more than LLVM by finding right options because it has much more optimizations.

Still it would be nice to fix LTO SPEC2000 degradations when -ffast-math is not used.