Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On 04/26/2010 03:23 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Chris Lattner<clattner@apple.com> writes
w.r.t. "hoarding", I'll point out that (in the context of GCC) being
able to enforce copyright is pretty useless IMO. While you can
force someone to release their code, the GPL doesn't force them to
assign the copyright to the FSF. In practice this means that you
can force someone to release their GCC changes, but you can't merge
them back to mainline GCC. In a warped way you could argue that the
FSF using the GPL encourages their software to fork :-)
Again, just for the record.  History shows that this is not entirely
useless.  People at NeXT wrote the Objective C frontend to GCC.  They
did not intend to release the source code.  The FSF objected.  In the
end, NeXT wound up contributing the code, and that is why GCC has an
Objective C frontend.  In other words, the whole process worked as the
GPL intended.

This presumes that NeXT would not have discovered the value of free software and done the right thing eventually anyways. I think anybody who truly believes in free software should believe in it for practical reasons. It's not just a religion - it's the right way to do business. Business can understand dollars, and free software can be demonstrated to provide value in terms of $$$.

I think anybody who truly believes in the *merit* of free software, should be approaching companies who do not understand the merit with a business plan, not a class action law suit.

Of course, if you don't believe in the *merit* of free software, and just think it's something cool to screw around with and force ideas down other people's throats -- Feel free to pursue the class action law suit approach, or consolidate ownership with the FSF and make it a straight forward law suit instead.

Cheers,
mark

P.S. Objective C in particular has a sour taste in my mouth, as it seems to be a key component to Apple's vendor lock in strategy. If you can't lock people in through closed source - just choose a barely used open source project extension to base the entire front end of your software on and cross your fingers the rest of the world won't bother to catch up any time soon because it is simply too much effort.