Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On 04/26/2010 02:00 PM, Richard Kenner wrote:
If I own 1% of the code of a program and somebody makes it non-free, I'm
going to be upset, but probably not enough to either sue the person or try
to organize a group do to collectively. But if instead I assigned that
software to a group that decided to sue, I'd be very happy they did and
glad that my assignment let them be able to do it.

Nobody can take your code and make it non-free.

They can take a copy of your code and modify it, but at no time does your original code become non-free. As long as people continue to copy from your "free" version of the code, they can continue to use it for "free".

The GPL isn't free though. The GPL is a limited use license that restricts freedoms in such a way that there is some expectation that the lost freedoms can purchase future freedom, and this compromise is justified.

Many of us don't agree that the compromise is justified. This will forever be a political difference between the two sides, and is unlikely to be resolved here. This is an FSF/GPL issue more than a GCC issue. It just so happens that GCC is one of the most easily recognized and widely used FSF-owned projects, so it is an easy target for us GPL haters. :-)

For the record: There is no ill will about the project. Some of us just don't understand why GCC couldn't survive or thrive under a less restrictive contribution and/or licensing model. We know of other projects that are near equal or in some cases greater than GCC in terms of actual impact on the world today that do not seem to share the same contribution and/or licensing model. Before anybody gets upset about this - please realize that I see GCC primarily as a compiler that translates from source form to executable form, and that there exists compatible or near compatible alternatives to GCC that could be switched to within a few months or less for most projects with an annoying but minimum amount of fuss. I also think that any truly free platform should have alternative implementations to avoid vendor lock and to enable healthy competition that will lead to better overall results for the end users.

Cheers,
mark