Re: PowerPC suboptimal "add with carry" optimization

Hi Manuel,

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Manuel López-Ibáñez
<lopezibanez@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I guess that's the point, really. 15 minutes for what exactly? All the
>> information is right there in the email Joakim sent. You are trying to
>> make life easier for developers, not users or testers.
>
> I think you misunderstood the thread then. More users and more testers
> would be nice but we really need more developers (or people
> contributing documentation, infrastructure support, etc). So making
> life easier for developers is contributing. Making life harder for
> developers is not.

I guess the conventional wisdom says that the way to attract new
developers is to first attract users and testers and then turn them
into contributors.

I can understand what you're trying to achieve with your bug tracking
system but I'm questioning if it's working for you. I am looking at
this from Linux kernel development point of view and the lessons
learned there is that the lower you can make the barrier for entry
(bug reports, patches, etc.), the more likely you're going to keep old
people around and attract new ones.

But anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you or force my views on you.
I'm just stating my observation which is extremely biased towards what
I see as a working model (the Linux kernel).

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Manuel López-Ibáñez
<lopezibanez@gmail.com> wrote:
> You mention "reality" below. If you really want a particular bug
> fixed, then you should try to help the developers to fix it. Reality
> is that bugs that are not in bugzilla do not get fixed because
> developers prefer to spend their time efficiently on well-structured
> reports and on high impact bugs. So my comment is trying to help you
> to increase the chances that your bug gets fixed. But if yourself
> don't care, then why do you expect others do?

That's something you can change. But trying to convince people that
your bug tracking system is not a pain in the ass isn't going to
change things.

                        Pekka