Re: PowerPC suboptimal "add with carry" optimization

David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote on 2010/04/26 14:54:55:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Joakim Tjernlund
> <joakim.tjernlund@transmode.se> wrote:
> > Manuel López-Ibáñez <lopezibanez@gmail.com> wrote on 2010/04/26 13:59:04:

> >> What is to be done besides what you have done here but in a more
> >> useful, structured manner? I am asking because we want to make things
> >> simple but not simpler than they become more complex for us.
> >
> > Lots of stuff to read on that page, lots of info to supply,
> > registering an account, specify all that system info and so on.
>
> You do not need to register an account to report a bug or request a

Just tried that and don't see that.

> feature enhancement.  Some of the information can be left blank, but
> if we do not have information about the system and an example, we may
> not understand the request or may not be able to reproduce the problem
> and fix it.

Just go look at that page, it is so much info that if the bug isn't very importat
you quickly decide it is not worth it. How I am supposed to know what is need
or not without reading all that?

> >> Aren't you interested in someone fixing the bug?
> >
> > Sure or better yet, show me some way to restructure the C code so proper
> > asm code is generated.
>
> You referred to PowerPC patterns in GCC that use the carry
> instructions.  Those patterns are optimizations for materializing a
> truthvalue in a GPR or performance a 64 bit arithmetic operation in 32
> bit mode.  The PowerPC port of GCC does not recognize general carry
> arithmetic operations yet and track the carry bit.

OK, thanks. I know x86 do I had hope there was some way to do that i
PowerPC too.