Re: lto1: internal compiler error: in lto_symtab_merge_decls_1, at lto-symtab.c:549

On 25/04/2010 23:16, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>  Is there a PR open about this, or any notes anywhere?  Being as I use a
>> non-ELF platform and so gold is not an option, I'd be pleased to help with
>> making this work.
>
> See http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2009-11/msg00015.html for some
> first steps.
>
> I don't understand this, actually. When I look at lto-elf/lto-coff,
> there seems to be AR support already. But this doesn't work,
> apparently?

  There is support for offsetting an arbitrary way into a file before
beginning reading, which in theory would let us read an archive member given
some parsing of the archive header, but I think that we still lack any means
of reading and parsing the archive, knowing what's there, and selecting the
member we want.  So, we have support for reading a single archive member as an
object for LTOing, but we need guidance about which ones and where from.

  If I understand correctly, what we farm out to gold/lto-plugin is the task
of identifying a) which archive members are required to be pulled into the
final link depending on the undefined references found in the existing object
files and b) what offsets those members begin at.

  On the other hand, I may not understand correctly.

    cheers,
      DaveK