Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Manuel LÃpez-IbÃÃez
<lopezibanez@gmail.com> wrote:
> This seems to be the question running around the blogosphere for
> several projects. And I would like to ask all people that read this
> list but hardly say or do anything.
>
> What reasons keep you from contributing to GCC?

The lack of time, for the most part. For GCC there are other reasons as well:

- the paperwork. I cannot just submit a patch if I feel like it.
- not easy to find something to contribute. Stuff that is either not
interesting to me, or too difficult for me to easily get into. GCC is
a mature project, so there aren't much 'holes to fill' (at first
sight, for a beginner).
- the programming language. I don't have any experience with C, I only
know some things about it because it's a subset of C++.

And I'm also watching other projects. I cannot contribute to all.
Well, actually I don't contribute to any project right now. Since I
started programming for my day job I don't really feel like
programming in the evenings or weekends anymore. Before that I spent
most of my free time working on my own project, my programming
language. But now I don't even have time to work on that anymore.