Re: Some benchmark comparison of gcc4.5 and dragonegg (was dragonegg in FSF gcc?)

Steven Bosscher wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@redhat.com> wrote:
One interesting thing is that dragonegg is a really fast compiler. It
is 2.3 times faster than gcc.

Yes, well, this is one thing "the crowd out there" complains about all the time. It just appears to be almost impossible for GCC (the project) to turn this around.

I don't think we should be too much worried about it. GCC looks good in comparison with other industrial compiler with compile time point (and code size too) of view (e.g. SunStudio compiler is about 2 times slower and generates worse code on x86/x86_64 according to my benchmarking 2 years ago, Intel is also slower but generates much better code than gcc).
Do you also have per-benchmark compile time measurements, by any chance?

No, I measure only overall compiler time for SPECInt2000 and SPECFP2000.