From: Chris Lattner [mailto:clattner@apple.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:38 PM
To: Grigori Fursin
Cc: 'Dorit Nuzman'; gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Notes from the GROW'10 workshop panel (GCC research opportunities workshop)

On Apr 11, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Grigori Fursin wrote:
> By the way, I remember that when we had first discussions to include plugin framework to GCC some
> years ago,
> first feedback was extremely negative. Nevertheless, GCC 4.5 will feature plugin framework (that
> will
> also be very useful for research), so maybe GCC will support JIT compilation too one day ;) ...

Sure, I'm not saying that GCC won't make amazing infrastructure improvements, just explaining why
opencl implementors didn't want to block on waiting for it to happen.

> As for OpenCL and lack of JIT support in GCC, we have been effectively overcoming this problem
> for many years using static multi-versioning and run-time version selection based on program
> and system behavior (even though there are obvious limitations),
> so I guess we can temporally continue using similar techniques for OpenCL in GCC...

I don't think that this is sufficient to implement OpenCL-the-spec well.  You can definitely add
support for opencl-the-kernel-language, but that's only half of OpenCL: the runtime, GPU
integration, and OpenGL integration aspects are just as important.  You can definitely implement all
this by forking out to an assembler etc, the implementation will just not be great.

-Chris=