Re: RFC: c++ diagnostics

> How to contribute? patches against the html? I see there are some
> examples without output. Also, it would be nicer if the page linked to
> each PR in bugzilla.

Well, the html is auto-generated so that isn't really the way to go.
Should I just check in the tests + xml into some gcc repository? There
is a README in the enclosing directory in the original URL that tries to
explain the way the sources are generated.

Certainly I can add a notes section to the HTML output and put in links
to specific bug reports.

> On the one hand, it is strange that you use
> -fdiagnostics-show-location=once  without -fmessage-length= because
> that doesn't have any effect. On the other hand,
> -fdiagnostics-show-option will give an output more similar to the one
> of clang.

Thanks for pointing this out.

> > Included are most of the outstanding bugzilla requests with the
> > "diagnostic" keyword. However, I am looking for help! Please send me
> > code samples that frustrate, obfuscate, and annoy.
>
> I guess most of the ones listed here:
>
> http://clang.llvm.org/diagnostics.html
>
> Also, posting this to kde-devel@kde.org may get some further feedback.

Oh, good idea.

> > I'm also looking for guidance on how to rank the priority of these
> > issues. Is there some way to tell what the biggest annoyance is?
>
> Let people vote in GCC bugzilla? Hum, perhaps not...

That's an idea, to be able to vote up diagnostics things in bugzilla.
The Red Hat bugzilla lets me do that for os bugs.

One of the other areas I really want to explore are some of the
verbose diagnostics that deal with missed optimizations, looping, or
vectorization. I see a lot more options for complex diagnostic/analysis
passes in the current round of compilers and would like to figure out
some way of tracking this for GCC. Any ideas? Even the basics would be
helpful.

-benjamin