Re: Change x86 default arch for 4.5?

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Richard Guenther wrote:

> We could very well enable -mfpmath=sse as a side-effect of -ffast-math though.

Yes, or sse+387 if that helps.  As documented:

  @option{-fexcess-precision=standard} is not implemented for languages
  other than C, and has no effect if
  @option{-funsafe-math-optimizations} or @option{-ffast-math} is
  specified.  On the x86, it also has no effect if @option{-mfpmath=sse}
  or @option{-mfpmath=sse+387} is specified; in the former case, IEEE
  semantics apply without excess precision, and in the latter, rounding
  is unpredictable.

-funsafe-math-optimizations is expected to have sufficient effects on
floating-point results that they can no longer be said to follow a
particular API as regards excess precision, and so whichever API is
fastest can be used.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com