Re: Support for export keyword to use with C++ templates ?

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Paolo Carlini <paolo.carlini@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2010 01:26 AM, Timothy Madden wrote:
[...]
> As I see the issue, you should first check over the next months that the
> feature is not deprecated by ISO.
I know, I tried to talk about it on std.c++. I am afraid I can not see
a consensus in the end, still I would not say the committee will just
remove it. They were strongly against deprecation in 2003.

> Then start learning about the
> internals of GCC and eventually propose a detailed plan explaining how
> you want to attack the problem, because before that it's extremely
> unlikely that the C++ front-end maintainers could even consider
> reviewing patches from a novice for such an hard to implement feature.
Yes it is.
I wish there were a nice and easy way about it, but an attempt at
export is something quite big ...

> That said, if you *really* plan contributing to GCC, maybe outside
> export first (which seems a terribly good idea to me) first and
> foremost, read the relevant web page:
>
> ? http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html
>
> and start immediately the paperwork for the Copyright assignment,
> because it takes time.

I see that what I need is an assignment for all future changes. If my
employer is not involved with any contributions of mine, the employer
disclaimer is not needed, right ?

It is going to be a while until I will be able to submit any kind of
patch; should I start with the paperwork ?

Thank you,
Timothy Madden