SVN pre-commit filter (Was: Re: WTF?)

Quoting Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>:
An SVN pre-commit filter (default on, disabled by SVN attribute if
needed) should instead just reject files that have trailing white space.

I think a better mechanism to deal with exceptions is to have a property that describes the current misformatting (or unusual formatting for some test cases / Makefiles). I.e. if a file is known to have N lines with trailing whitespace, M with spaces-for-tabs, K with spaces-hidden-in-front-of-tabs, and L with carriage return, a patch will be rejected if it increases N, M, K or L. If it decreases it, the count property can be auto-adjusted to prevent regressions. And if you really have to, you can adjust a property by hand before checking in a patch that increases one of the counts.