Re: WTF?

Quoting Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net>:
Why would the GCC code written in C become less readable if we decided
to GNU indent it? There might be some corner cases which could be
handled by clever /* *INDENT-OFF* */ comments.

GNU indent becomes so confused by some constructs in GCC that the result becomes unreadable in places; sometimes it won't even compile anymore.

Besides, even if we had a working indent for GCC, we wouldn't want all of
our code to be reformatted.  Ideally indent would only reformat what is
actually formatted incorrectly, not things that you can validly format in
various different ways.

If we decided to use a software tool to indent our code, all the
reviewers would have less (unininteresting) work, I mean correcting the
whitespaces.

Having diffs balloon to a multiple of their current size because indent
has no common sense whatsoever how to incorporate a code change without reformatting the world won't help.