Re: [Re: new plugin events]

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
>> All of which terribly reminds me of the painful (for end users, ISVs,
>> IHVs, OSVs,...) situation we have with the Linux kernel and out-of-tree
>> modules.
> I do agree with the similarity. But is that situation [of today's linux
> kernel modules?] really so painful??

Quite, as far as out-of-tree modules go.  In tree, things are different.

> So perhaps GCC plugins are better than no plugins at all. Only time can
> tell.

Oh, I didn't say plugins (or kernel modules) are undesirable, let alone
bad.

> And if plugins are not that important, adding more hooks (so perhaps
> removing some of them later) is not really important neither (so I am
> even more confused that we are debating a few new hooks so much, and
> putting more energy in discussions than in patches). If plugins are not
> a success, we could eventually remove entirely the plugin support in GCC
> 5.0 (or even 4.6). [I have no idea of who will decide that, and I have
> no idea of who decided that GCC can have plugins. Perhaps the Steering
> Commitee, or RMS himself???

Not RMS for sure, and pretty much not the steering committee unless there
is strong disagreement among the primarily responsible parties (= the
technical maintainers).

> Are there any objective measures of the temperature of a mailing list

Not that I'd know of, but the GCC lists are extremely harmless nearly all
of the time (and this discussion is still quite on the harmless side of
things).

> Now my mood is that is is quite funny to discuss all that. I am enjoying

Happy to hear that. :-)

Gerald