Re: new plugin events

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Grigori Fursin <grigori.fursin@inria.fr> wrote:
> Hi Basile et al,
>
>> My suggestion to ICI friends is : just propose quickly your needed plugin events, and make
>> your ICI a GPLv3 plugin.
>> When you can show that your ICI plugin to an *unmodified* gcc-4.5 brings some value, GCC
>> people will perhaps start to
>> listen and look inside.
>
> Just to mention that I am a bit confused because I actually don't expect to have problems moving
> ICI to the mainline unless we find some big bugs that can change GCC behavior (but I really don't
> think so).
> We had many online and offline discussions to move ICI to the mainline GCC in the last few years
> with GCC
> colleagues/maintainers. We just sadly got delayed at INRIA this summer due to different reasons but
> Joern
> is now working with us for 2 months fully time to clean and test ICI and submit patches as soon as
> they are ready.
>
> It's true that we actually need a few hooks and Joern will communicate about that shortly BUT these
> hooks are
> already used in real plugins for real performance tuning (in a way as current hooks are used in
> Dehydra
> for real program analysis in several companies).

And I don't expect problems in adding hooks that ICI needs.  I expect
that ICI is a reason to improve GCCs pass manager - and I expect that
we will improve GCCs pass manager not by simply adding hooks to it
to "fix" it from inside plugins, but I expect that we'll get a more powerful
pass manager _inside_ GCC.  I also expect or at least hope that more
parts of the compilation process get driven by the pass manager rather
than by ad-hoc code gluing several phases of pass manager driven
stages.

Richard.