Re: cc1plus invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x280da, order=0, oom_adj=0

Dave Korn wrote:
Andrew Morton wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 13:29:29 -0800 Justin Mattock<justinmattock@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
I'm not sure how to handle this,
while compiling firefox-3.6b1.source
I get this with the default compiling options,
as well as custom:

active_anon:2360492kB inactive_anon:590196kB active_file:84kB
2.8GB of anonymous memory

[ 532.942508] Free swap = 0kB
[ 532.942510] Total swap = 431632kB
430MB of swap, all used up.

That's a genuine OOM.  Something (presumably cc1plus) has consumed
waaaay too much memory, quite possibly leaked it.

It would help if the oom-killer were to print some information about
the oom-killed process's memory footprint.

I would think that the quickest way to proceed would be to re-run the failing compile command under gdb at the command-line and see what it's doing when the oom killer signals it, wouldn't it? Or turn up the swap until it doesn't get killed and see what info can be gleaned from the cc1(plus?) -fmem-report output.

     cheers,
       DaveK

I can try, only issue I have is I don't
use a distro, so building anything requires me
to hand compile it(hopefully not difficult for gdb).

So give me some time on this and I'll see if I can get this up
and running, and add that patch to kernel then go from there.

Justin P. Mattock