Re: plugin hooks

> I believe there is a strong chicken & egg issue here. Ian is suggesting that
> hooks should be added only when an existing plugin would need them, but I
> believe that on the contrary plugins won't appear if they don't have a
> sufficient set of hooks. People won't even bother to make plugins if they
> feel the set of hooks is blantly unsufficient. [They will either
> experiment on their own GCC branch, or avoid GCC entirely, for instance
> using LLVM instead]. But working on one's branch is much more painful
> than coding a plugin!

I don't see a chicken and egg problem. Your work on making the GC
accessible to plugins is a good example why it is not :-)

> I have a concrete example here: plugin-specific pragmas (see
> PLUGIN_REGISTER_PRAGMA on http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/plugin%20hook for
> details)
>
> I have two imaginary use cases here.

Sorry, the point is precisely that they should be concrete :-)

If you are actually coding a plugin and get to the stage "ok, now I
need a new hook", please send a patch adding the hook and a
description of what the plugin is trying to do.

Cheers,
--
Rafael Ãvila de EspÃndola