when (not) use bugzilla for GCC?

Hello All,

Please accept my apologies if the questions below are too naive!

I have several questions about bugzilla and GCC. I am not very familiar with bugzilla, and I am not familiar with the configuration of GCC bugzilla in particular.

I cannot understand when should I use or not bugzilla. More precisely, I have several examples of "bugs" but I didn't use bugzilla for them

1. I regularily test the latest gcc trunk with -flto on a medium sized program. And it always crashes, with a sisegv fatal error. My feeling is that it should not crash that way (at least, I would prefer a message such as not enough memory to compile with -flto). Should I report that as a bug on bugzilla? I am not able at all to reduce that example to something smaller.

For the record, that program is Jacques Pitrat's MALICE system http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jacques.pitrat/MALICE.html
about 370KLOC (less than 14Mbytes total) of C files (all 2947 C files are generated and usually short, MALICE is bootstrapped that is generates all its C code; the C code is not understandable!). I would imagine that it is not big enough to reach the limits of my 8Gb desktop!

Should I report that as a bug?

2. a couple of weeks ago, I submitted a patch regarding gengtype for plugins (the patch was greatly improved by Rafael Espindola espindola@google.com) and the patch did correct a bug. http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2009-10/msg00379.html
but I never bothered registering it (since making the initial patch was easier than reporting a bug). This is also the case of http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2009-10/msg00809.html
(fatal error when failing to register a pass)

3. On the MELT branch, I regularily find bugs & correct them, and it did happen that someone registered a MELT bug on the bugzilla; I did correct it but AFAIR was not permitted to close the bug. Sometimes I am sad of not being able to report MELT bugs on bugzilla and to close them when I feel I have covered them.

My current intuition is that bugzilla might be reserved for bugs of the trunk mostly for which a small testcase is available, and which is a bug affecting many users (this is not the case of all the bugs mentionned above).

So when should I use bugzilla? I am a bit "scared" to use it!

I hope I am not offending anyone, and I admit that I am not familiar with bugzilla in general and its GCC policy & setting in particular.

I also am guessing that bugzilla is less important for the GCC community than in some other big free software communities. It does not seem to be a major communication channel.

Regards.