Re: Ada Copyright Notice Nit

Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com> writes:

> In checking my local changes, I noticed a minor
> difference in how the Ada source files have their
> Copyright notice.   Some have a comma between the
> years and party, others do not.
>
> 9drpc.adb:--          Copyright (C) 1992-2009, Free Software
> Foundation, Inc.         --
> a-assert.adb:--         Copyright (C) 2007-2009  Free Software
> Foundation, Inc.          --
>
> Are both of these OK?  Should they be changed
> to be the same?
>
> I doubt it makes any legal difference but we
> are normally picky on formatting in these areas.

We normally follow the GNU standard for copyright notices, which is
here:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html

It says no comma.  It also says do not use a dash between years, but
instead list all the years individually.  See the main gcc directory
for a myriad examples.

My understanding is that none of this makes any legal difference.  I
think it's more or less up to the Ada maintainers whether they want to
strictly adhere to the GNU standards or not.

Ian