Re: loop optimization in gcc

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:

> I'm not really sure what you are asking. ?gcc supports OpenMP for
> parallelizing loops. ?That is mostly done in the frontends.

I have been told that openMP does parallelizing of loops, but these
types of optimizations are generally done for a large clusters of
computers (Is this correct?).Meaning thereby that these optimizations
are not used for low scale systems.

What i aim for in parallelizing, is to improve the speed of execution
of relatively simple tools used for distribution of packages.(for eg:
speed improvements in using dwarf utilities and elf utilities during
distribution of software to test for backward compatibilities and
dependency checks) for modestly multicore (2 or 4 to start out)
processors.A few ideas in this regard are brewing in which i will be
trying out along with my team in the near future.

I will also be happy to know if there are any good ideas to improve
the speed of execution by optimizing the loops with a focus to
parallelize them than the one which are in place in gcc so that i can
try this out with my team.

--
cheers
sandy