LTO: Speedup.

L.S.,

On our weather forecasting code (compiled with -O3 -flto and linked with -O3 -flto -fwhole-program) I get a speedup of 65 seconds per time step in the model integration vs. 75 seconds with -O3 alone.

That is a 10/75 ~ 13 % improvement.

This compares favorably to an experiment I did back in '92:

Compiling all forecast Fortran code with f2c to make it C code, combine all the C files in one file in the right order, and slap "static inline" on all functions. then compiling the resulting file with -O3.

That gave me 10 % at that time.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/