Re: apple blocks extension

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 04:03:35PM +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >The status is that there is no status, unfortunately (it's an
> >interesting extension...).
> >
> >This extension is not presently implemented in the FSF GCC.
> >AFAIU there is no reason to believe Apple will contribute patches to
> >implement it.
>
> I think you may (are allowed to) port it from Apple GCC sources.

If you are not the copyright owner of the sources, I doubt the FSF would allow
it to be checked into GCC.  However, a reimplementation from scratch would be
doable.

Like everything else in the free software world, it depends on the motavations
of the people contributing the code.  To paraphrase president Kennedy, ask not
what GCC can do for you, ask what you can do for GCC?

So roll up your sleeves and get coding, or convince other people (and their
managers) that it is a good thing to do.  I suspect there are people starting
to think about it, and perhaps the interested parties need to organize to scope
out the work.

--
Michael Meissner, IBM
4 Technology Place Drive, MS 2203A, Westford, MA, 01886, USA