Re: apple blocks extension

Ed Smith-Rowland <3dw4rd@verizon.net> writes:

> In general, and this has come up before, there are other things in
> Objective-C 2.0 that we don't have.  IIRC the Apple trees left behind
> are a little old and not in good shape.  What are the licensing issues
> for borrowing from LLVM leaving aside the technical issues?

There is no issue with looking at LLVM or Apple's version of gcc and
reimplementing the ideas in gcc.

Actual code copying depends upon the copyright status of the Apple code.
Although Apple has chosen to stop contributing to the FSF, they have
signed a perpetual copyright assignment for changes to several FSF
programs.  So it seems to me that any changes that Apple makes to gcc
(or gdb, emacs, etc.) can simply be brought over by any interested
party.

I don't know how this interacts with changes to LLVM.  However, it is
fairly unlikely that those changes could be copied directly anyhow.

Ian