Call stack mechanisms

I am doing research on multi-threaded call stack mechanisms, and in addition
to academic papers, I am surveying what mechanisms existing languages use.

Does the gcc backend use a mechanism other than the standard C-pthread
style "one stack is allocated on thread creation for each thread, and if that
space is exhausted it is considered an error"? If so, could you detail your
call stack mechanism?

Does this change between frontends, or is it standardized on the gcc backend?

Thanks for your time, Joshua Moore-Oliva