Re: need help on GCC driver

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Basile STARYNKEVITCH
<basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:

> Vikram KS wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have some question on gcc driver.
>
> You really should give more context. Are you doing cross-compilation? Are you patching the GCC sources? Why do you want to generate a *.sl file? What are your host & target systems?

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry that i was not clear. I am involved
in a private port for GCC 4.4.0. I have to integrate the compiler with
the rest of the existing tool chain. So as a part of this process i
have to invoke the rest of the tool chain through GCC driver.

>> Whenever we invoke gcc, it'll pass some default options to the
>> compiler, assembler linker etc. But if i dont want to pass all these
>> default options but only some of them, what should i do?
>>
>> For eg: gcc will pass the following option to cc1
>>
>> /usr/libexec/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/cc1 -quiet -v test.c -quiet
>> -dumpbase test.c -mtune=generic -auxbase test -version -o
>> /tmp/ccM89Tz7.s
>
> Why are you talking of gcc-4.1.1? It is quite old now! If you want to patch or hack inside GCC, I strongly suggest working on the trunk (future gcc-4.5) or on your branch, or at least the latest GCC release (ie 4.4.1).

I used the native complier only to show my requirement. I am using GCC 4.4.0

>> and to "as"
>>
>> ?as -V -Qy -o /tmp/ccP6YP4n.o /tmp/ccM89Tz7.s
>>
>> Now i dont want to generate "-o /tmp/ccM89Tz7.s" instead i want to
>> generate "/tmp/ccM89Tz7.sl" and this generated ".sl" should be picked
>> by my assembler and it should generate the o/p with ".ol" extension.
>
> I suppose it is a typo, and should read with ".sl" extension.
>

>> as -V -Qy -o /tmp/ccP6YP4n.ol /tmp/ccM89Tz7.sl
>>
>> Also if i give "-S" switch, it should generate the the output with the
>> ".sl" extension instead of ?".s".
>>
>> Is this possible to do it in "gcc/config/<target>.h" or do i need to
>> write a separate spec file.
>
> I don't understand if you have your own target or not. I would suggest using a spec file (it is probably the easiest way to do). But I am not very expert on the gcc.c driver!
>
> I really suggest you if possible to avoid hacking gcc 4.1.x and work on something more recent (otherwise you'll get few help from here...).

So in the back-end there are driver options that will help me to
invoke the existing tool-chain through GCC driver. But the assembler
takes only .sl extensions. I tried to replace the .s extension with
.sl extension. But by default the cc1 will have some options passed
from the driver which also includes -o option. So if to add my own -o
option i am getting error due to repetition of -o option. So my
question is how to replace the .s extension with .sl extension for the
compiler output.

Hope i am clear.

Regards,
Vikram