Re: The future of concepts

Ed Smith-Rowland wrote:
James Dennett wrote:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Piotr Wyderski<piotr.wyderski@gmail.com> wrote:
Concepts have recently been removed from the C++0x Standard Draft.
Will the concepts branch be discontinued?

I hope not. Concepts will be "finished" and re-added to C++, and it would be immensely helpful in that effort if there were a version of g++ with stronger Concepts support than ConceptGCC had.

-- James

We need a gcc branch for concepts. One of the major complaints on concepts and one of the major contributors to its being dropped is that there is no implementation experience.

It could perhaps be not a branch, but a plugin, but I know not much about C++ concepts, and absolutely nothing about the existing C++ concepts branch[es].

My belief is that making such code a plugin and not a branch would make both the plugin feature and the experimental language feature (concepts) more popular. And perhaps maintaining a plugin could mean less work than maintaing an entire branch.

Regards.