Re: Compiling programs licensed under the GPL version 2 with GCC 4.4

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 05:34:34PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> fche@redhat.com (Frank Ch. Eigler) writes:
> > Robert Dewar <dewar@adacore.com> writes:
>
> >> Discussion of FSF policy on licensing issues is also off-topic for
> >> this mailing list.
>
> > Perhaps, yet the libgcc exception licensing issues were quite
> > prominently discussed right here, and not too many months ago.
> > Florian's concern sounds linearly connected to that.  If this is as
> > trivial a matter as some people seem to hint, perhaps someone can supply
> > a link to a prior discussion for it.
>
> Furthermore, the people Robert is telling him to go ask are not replying
> to their e-mail.  Given that, on-topic or not, I think it's hardly
> surprising for the issue to come up here.  The most effective way to keep
> it from coming up here would seem to be for them to start answering their
> e-mail.

I would suggest that affected distributors contact the SFLC for an opinion
and advice.  I think that they are in the best position to work both with
the FSF and with other free software distributors to determine if there
is a genuine problem, what the scope of it is, and make suggestions
for a resolution.  They've done work for many other free software projects
outside of the FSF.

Continued use of this list to discuss the matter isn't going to produce
any reliable conclusions or good results.