Re: Compiling programs licensed under the GPL version 2 with GCC 4.4

   > a) discussions of licensing issues are off topic on this mailing list
   >
   > b) you should ignore all such discussions, since they invariablly
   >   include lots of legal-sounding opinions from people who are not
   >   lawyers and don't know, and often have significant misconceptions.
   >
   > c) remember that even lawyers don't know what the exactly implications
   >   of copyright law are, juries often surprise. So even if you go ask
   >   a lawyer, you won't get a definitive opinion.

   These three points could be included in a standard answer to
   licensing questions posted to gcc@. Invariably, all such threads
   are a waste of time and bandwidth. Perhaps we can include the
   standard answer in some webpage so we can copy+paste or just point
   to it. A first attempt at: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Licensing

The effort is laudable, but the above text has a negative sounding
tone.  It doesn't point users in the right direction.

How about the following wording,

  The most common questions and answers regarding the GNU GPL and how
  it applies can be found in the GNU GPL FAQ
  <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html>, if you cannot find the
  answer there please contact <legal@gnu.org> instead of posting your
  question on one of the GCC mailing-lists.