Re: CONSTANT_POOL_BEFORE_FUNCTION has no effect in tm.h?

While I still think the choice is arbitrary (why the front and not the
back--and mine's a lay opinion, I know), what's the generally accepted
method for reorganizing string literals and other constants to appear
after the function asm rather than before it? Some targets appear to
do something similar in TARGET_MACHINE_DEPENDENT_REORG to relocate
read-only data to a safe jump distance. Where should I begin looking
in source/documentation to gain an understanding of the process?

Also, I don't really grok your example, which probably belies a lack
of deep understanding of C or GCC or both. In every case I tried,
'const int ai[] = { 1 };' (and volatile ...) was translated to an
immediate value of 1.

Trev