Re: preprocessors & GCC plugins

2009/7/6 Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net>:
> Hello All
>
> I would suppose that the preprocessor (ie libcpp) might be enhanced to use
> plugins. I can see several scenarii for them:
>
> 1. a plugin could enhance the way #include directives are processed
>
> 2. a plugin could add additional builtin macros, like __COUNTER__, which
> would be specific to the plugin.
>
> 3. a plugin could add extra CPP directives (like #ident)
>
> What do you think? Probably 1 is harder to implement than 2 or 3, but I am
> not very familiar with libcpp/
>
> The http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2009-07/msg00009.html mail suggested me the
> plugins could be useful in the preprocessor.
>
> Currently, there is no plugin specific code inside libcpp/

It might be useful, but I would wait a bit before implementing it if
is not critical. Lets first see how plugins get used. For example,
whether the linux distributions will ship a 4.5 with plugins support.

> Regards.

Cheers,
--
Rafael Avila de Espindola

Google | Gordon House | Barrow Street | Dublin 4 | Ireland
Registered in Dublin, Ireland | Registration Number: 368047