Re: Any ideas how to get the IRA to choose one subclass of registers over another in the same cover class?

Dave Hudson wrote:

I would have hoped that having done the analysis early on that the register allocator would try to allocate from the preferred register class rather than the cover class but it seems that doesn't happen?
So you're saying that the register preferences look reasonable, but in low pressure situations the allocator appears to largely ignore the preferred register class?

It might help if you could provide some debugging dumps. The .ira dump in particular contains a wealth of information about the decisions the allocator is making.

Anyone have any ideas other than writing a pass that runs before reload and tries to fix this up?
The first thing is to understand why IRA is doing what it's doing. We're generally better off generating a good allocation rather than trying to clean it up post-allocation.

jeff