Re: git mirror at gcc.gnu.org

On 06/15/2009 01:22 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
On 06/15/09 16:28, Rafael Espindola wrote:
It fails with

$ git config --add remote.origin.fetch '+refs/remotes/*:refs/remotes/origin/*'
$ git fetch
fatal: refs/remotes/origin/gcc-4_0-branch tracks both
refs/remotes/gcc-4_0-branch and refs/heads/gcc-4_0-branch

Perhaps I should remove those "friendly" refs pointing at the remote branches? Or can we find a better alternative? Their use was to make a few frequently used branches readily visible in gitweb and with a simple clone.

It makes sense to me to have the friendly refs so that the simple case (clone, don't try to use svn directly) works easily.

What I'm doing doesn't have any problem with them. Rafael was following older instructions written by someone else. When I started editing that page, I put my suggestions at the bottom because I was fairly new to git. Now I feel more confident that what I'm doing is right (or at least better) so I think I'll remove the old instructions.

But what are oldmaster/pre-globals-git/restrict-git? And why have both "master" and "trunk" as heads?

Perhaps git-svn could be configured to map svn branches directly to the
local namespace instead of remotes/ ?

It could, but it seems unnecessary.

Jason