Re: plugins & howto & generators

On Wed, 27 May 2009, Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:

> > Should we tell them (the other users using the future gcc-4.5-dev Debian
> > package) in our documentation how to build a plugin (I mean what are the
> > actual commands to run, what kind of Makefile for them, what are the
> > required CFLAGS or -I... path, etc..), or should that be left to e.g. linux
> > distribution packagers?
>
> A complete tutorial on how to create and build a generic plugin is
> perhaps more suited for the wiki than for the internals documentation.

However, sufficient documentation for building plugins should be included
in the GCC sources so that it is branched with GCC, since it is likely
there will be significant differences between GCC versions and so each GCC
branch should include the associated plugin documentation.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com