Re: bitfields: types vs modes?

DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com> writes:

> We seem to have dropped this discussion.  I now have *two* customers
> asking for this functionality.  Can we pick it up again?  We need to
> decide:
>
> 1. If the functionality will be allowed in gcc at all
>
> 2. What info the target needs to be provided to make the choices it wants
>
> 3. What, if any, common code can be shared between the CPUs

Since the ARM ABI apparently specifies something about volatile
bitfields, I think we ought to implement that.

I continue to think that a sane programmer would use a different
mechanism.  C/C++ provides mechanisms for working with memory mapped
hardware.  Bitfields are not one of those mechanisms.

Ian