Re: [RFC] enabling -fshow-column by default

On Wed, 20 May 2009, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> When we have good caret diagnostics it would also be nice to enable them
> by default.  However, that is a much bigger change.  Does anybody have
> an opinion on that?

Yes, that tripling the size of output in a cascade of diagnostics is a bad
idea.  Possibly disable them by default after the first few errors (or a
larger number of warnings) if enabled by default (not explicitly) up to
then?  Also, work with the GNU Coding Standards maintainers on any
conventions for caret diagnostics in GNU software.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com