Re: Exception Handling description

Hi,

On Sun, 17 May 2009, Michael Eager wrote:

> If the LSDA is only interpreted by the personality routine pointed to
> by the unwind table, then all that should be needed is to describe the
> the functionality of that routine.

Yep, that was what my confusion above was about, if the LSDA format
specifically should also be described.  I consider describing it in an ABI
in a normative part to be actually harmful on the grounds that it's not
necessary but would prevent future changes of the format (without ABI
changes) ...

> Itanium C++ ABI on the CodeSourcery site.)  The details on how to generate
> the LSDA would likely be an appendix showing an example implementation.

... whereas this of course would be something useful.

> The ABI would also need to say something about the name or linkage of
> the personality routine, so that if different compilations have
> different routines, they won't collide.
> (The AMD64 ABI says that there is no psABI-specified name, but that
> doesn't prevent collisions.)

Indeed.  The question is if the ABI should try to prevent such collisions
(it would have to list all existing current symbols and be amended
whenever someone invents a new one).  I'm undecided.

Ciao,
Michael.