Re: [graphite] Weekly phone call notes

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 23:57 +0200, Richard Guenther wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Tobias Grosser
> <grosser@fim.uni-passau.de> wrote:
> > Hi gcc developers, hi graphities
> >
> > here are some notes from our weekly phone call. Unfortunately I missed
> > to send out the notes from the last two phone calls, but I hope to get
> > them out more regulary. Believe in me! ;-)
> >
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite_Phone_Call/2009_04_29
> >
> > Attendees: Li, Jan, Konrad, Sebastian, Tobias, David, Christophe
> >
> >      * Reductions: Diego OK with going out of SSA.
>
> You will loose all points-to information.  I think going out of SSA is
> a very bad idea.

It makes live a lot easier and it is just for reductions. ;-) But you
are right we should get SSA back.

The point was more if it is the right moment to try to regenerate SSA as
the polyhedral model is actually not single assignment. Or actually the
other way around. More single assignment than SSA.

We postponed this complication or silently hoped that a later pass might
clean up our mess. Actually Sebastian already looked at the output and
there seems to be a later gcc pass, that cleans it up and reintroduces
SSA. But we have to investigate this further or at least document it
correctly. The final goal has to be to get an optimized loop, that is
still in SSA. The way we take is not completely clear yet.