Re: Support question for GCC

> Normally with Commercial (COTS) software, the manufacturer has an
> end-of-support or end-of-life date, but I'm not sure how this works
> for free or open source software.

Pretty much the same way except that the company providing support is not
the "manufacturer".  For both proprietary (what you call "commercial")
software and free or open source software, if you want support for the
software, you must contract with some company to provide it.  In the case
of proprietary software, this is almost always the "manufacturer" of the
software and the contract is often part of the contract where you purchase
the software.  For free or open source software, you can choose between a
number of companies that provide support for the software.  Each company
will have different policies regarding how much support they provide for
each version of the software and when they no longer support that version.
This question should be directed at the company you've chosen to maintain
your software.