Plugins & GGC ie GTY

Hello All,

[I don't know if this discussion belongs to gcc@ or gcc-patches@ so I'm sending it on gcc@ since I don't propose or discuss any code yet]

My understanding was that most plugins people are aware that somehow some plugins would need to have static GTY-ed roots for the GGC machinery.

So it seems to me that we'll need :

1. The ability to run gengtype in a special mode for plugins, on the source code of the plugin. to generate the gt-*.h files included by the source code of the plugin. This would require a patch to gengtype.

2. The ability to handle, very probably using dlsym, or perhaps by having a gcc_plugin_register_gty_table function called from the plugin initialization routine, to plug the generated root tables (an array of struct ggc_root_tab, which is defined in the generated gt-*.h files) of the plugin into the GGC machinery. This would require a short patch to ggc-common.c or similar ggc-*.c files.

Did I miss anything?

Regards.

PS. This is not an April Fool joke! I am quit serious about extra GTY-ed roots. It is for me an essential & required condition to perhaps transform the MELT branch into a mega-plugin.

-- Basile STARYNKEVITCH http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/ email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net mobile: +33 6 8501 2359 8, rue de la Faiencerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France *** opinions {are only mines, sont seulement les miennes} ***