Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

By the way, from reading this messages I think that people have a
slightly rosier recollection of the egcs split than I do.  I think the
egcs split was the right thing to do, but it was also a power play on
the part of Cygnus because we could not continue operating under the
existing gcc maintainership regime, and we could not get the FSF to
change it.  We signed up most of the non-Cygnus contributors because we
needed political cover; we were able to sign them up because they were
facing the same problems that we were.

Certainly, and I, as one of the non-Cygnus maintainers (of g77) definitely understood it that way.

That was why I was so nervous about it - if the split went off the deep end, it could have hurt gcc/g++/g77 development for years ...

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org (*NEW*) - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/